I bet you didn’t think I could make the immigration process look sexy. Well, do you know how Stella got her happily ever after? She probably got married to Winston and then sponsored him to become a Permanent Resident in the United States. We didn’t get to see that part of the movie but I guarantee that was in the epilogue. These are probably the next ten steps they took to make it official.
Here are the 10 Steps Immigration Steps
- Stella and Winston got married in San Fransisco.
- Stella and Winston got the advice of an immigration attorney.
- The immigration attorney advised Stella and Winston that Winston could stay and apply for Adjustment of Status (AOS). Since Stella was a U.S. Citizen, he qualified as an immediate relative. As the spouse of a U.S. citizen he would not be penalized for overstaying his visitor’s visa upon approval of the permanent residence (green card).
- Stella’s attorney filed the I-485 Adjustment of Status application with the I-130 petition, I-130A Form, the sealed Medical Examination, the I-864 Affidavit of Support and I-765 Work Authorization Application. They may have also included the optional I-131 Advanced Parole application which would have allowed Winston to travel during the pending AOS.
- Winston received an I-797C notice of acceptance a few (2 – 3) weeks after the USCIS accepted the application.
- Then Winston received his biometrics appointment to do his fingerprinting another 2 to 3 weeks after the I-797C acceptance notice. The finger prints allowed the USCIS to conduct the background check.
- Four months after the USCIS accepted the applications, Winston received his approved Work permit, which allowed him to work while he waited for the final AOS interview.
- About 11 months after the USCIS accepted the application, Winston received the scheduled interview notice.
- Stella and Winston attended the interview together. The officer probably examined his application and their marriage to determine whether the marriage was bonafide.
- The officer found no reason to think the marriage was based on nothing but true love. The immigration officer approved the conditional permanent residence. He would have to renew the permanent residence in 2 years as long as he and Stella continued to show they had a bonafide marriage.
Stella and Winston lived happily ever after. At least, that is what I’d like to believe. But keep in mind, Stella and Winston probably used an immigration attorney (I would like to think so). Winston was married to a U.S. citizen. Winston did not have a background with criminal issues or past immigration violations. So it went faster and smoother in ten steps. That, in a nutshell is my take on how Stella Got Her Groove Back in 10 immigration steps.
NOTE: As always this is for informational purposes only and is not legal advice. Consult an attorney for advice regarding your particular circumstances.